President Arif Alvi administers oaths to caretaker federal ministers.
SLAMABAD: President Dr Arif Alvi administered the oath of office to the interim cabinet on Thursday in a magnificent event at Islamabad’s Aiwan-e-Sadr.
The new cabinet has 16 federal ministers, 6 special advisers, and 3 advisers, according to a document.
Ministers from the federal government
- Senator Sarfaraz Ahmed Bugti — Interior/Pakistanis Abroad/NARCO
- Foreign Affairs Minister Jalil Abbas Jilani
- Lt General (retd) Shamshad Akhtar — Finance and Revenue / Economic Affairs / Statistics / Privatisation Anwar Ali Hyder — Defense/Defense Manufacturing/Aviation
- Murtaza Solangi is an information and broadcasting professional.
- Sami Saeed — Development Planning
- Shahid Ashraf Tarar is in charge of communication (railways, postal services, ports, and maritime affairs).
- Law and Justice / National Resources / Climate Change and Water — Ahmad Irfan Aslam
- Muhammad Ali — Petroleum and Energy
- Gohar Ejaz — Commerce/Tennis/Industry/Production
- Umar Saif — Science and Technology/Information Technology and Telecommunications
- Nadeem Jan is the Director of National Health Services, Regulation, and Control.
- Khalil George is in charge of National Health Services, Regulation, and Control.
- Aneeq Ahmad is in charge of Religious Affairs, Hajj, and Interfaith Harmony.
- Jamal Shah — National Culture and Heritage
- Madad Ali Sindhi is the federal education, national harmony, and youth affairs minister.
Advisers to PM
- PM Air Marshal (retired) Advisers Farhat Hussain Khan is a pilot.
- Ahad Khan Cheema, Foundation
- Finance Special Advisors Waqar Masood Khan
- Mishal Hussain Malik — Human Rights / Empowerment of Women
- Jawad Sohrab Malik — Retired Overseas Vice Admiral Iftikhar Rao is the Minister of Maritime Affairs.
- Wasih Shah works in tourism.
- Dr. Jehanzeb Khan — SIFC / Government Effectiveness Syeda Arifa Zehra is the Minister of Education and National Harmony.
- The ceremony began with the national anthem and was attended by Intermin Prime Minister Anwaar-ul-Haq Kakar, Punjab Caretaker Chief Minister Mohsin Naqvi, lawmakers, and significant figures from all areas of life.
Portfolios are assigned to ministers and advisers.
Interim Premier Kakar awarded responsibilities to caretaker ministers, advisers, and special advisers shortly after the oath-taking ceremony.
According to a Cabinet Division notification, the prime minister appointed former State Bank of Pakistan (SBP) governor Shamshad Akhtar to the ministries of Finance and Revenue, Economic Affairs, Statistics, and Privatisation. On Independence Day earlier this week, President Alvi presented the Nishan-e-Imtiaz on Dr Akhtar, who was also finance minister in the caretaker government previous to the 2018 general election.
Former Foreign Secretary Jalil Abbas Jilani has been appointed to the Foreign Ministry. She took over as governor of the SBP on January 2, 2006, for a three-year tenure, becoming the country’s first female central bank governor.
Jilani, on the other hand, has 38 years of bilateral and multilateral experience as a public servant and career diplomat, having served as Pakistan’s Ambassador to the United States, Belgium, Luxembourg, the European Union, and Australia.
Jilani was appointed foreign secretary in 2012, and during his tenure, he was intimately involved in the negotiations and completion of the China Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC), signing key agreements for the project during the visit of Chinese Premier Li Keqiang during the then-Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) government.
Dr. Gohar Ejaz, the CEO of the Ejaz Group of Companies, has been handed the portfolios of Commerce, Textile, Industries, and Production.
Senator Sarfraz Bugti has also been assigned the ministries of Interior, Overseas Pakistanis, and NARCO. He formerly served as Balochistan’s minister of home and tribal affairs.
Lieutenant General (retd) Anwar Ali Haider was appointed to the portfolios of Defence, Defence Production, and Aviation.
Meanwhile, the caretaker prime minister has called his first cabinet meeting on Friday (tomorrow).